Saturday, December 17, 2016 10:29:54 AM
- C / C++ is not a language of choice for the internet because the programs are system / platform dependent making the programs not easily portable.
- Whereas Java’s instruction set called byte code are about 200 in number. This means any java program can be written using these few instructions. With Java you can write once and run anywhere (WORA).
- The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is specifically designed to interpret these byte code instructions (.class) and convert them into machine readable code.
- The JVM is a program thats freely downloadable from the internet and platform specific. The process is: x.java -> x.class -> JVM converts into machine code -> program output.
- Thus a .exe (C/C++) contains machine code instructions that are system dependent whereas a .class (Java) contains byte code instructions for a JVM and hence system independent.