Sunday, December 25, 2016 9:35:47 PM
- Virtual reality is a computer-generated environment (virtual) that lets you experience a different reality from your current physical space. Images are fed to your eyes from two small lenses.
- What can one do with VR? Hike Yosemite, tour the Eiffel tower, experience a movie as if you are part of it, and play immersive video games are just a few examples.
- Some popular VR options currently out there: Google Cardboard, Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Sony Play Station VR
- Some future areas for VR: Entertainment, Artistry & design, Gaming, Education & simulation, Tourism & exploration, Psychology & meditation, Real estate & shopping and Social & telepresence.
- Google cardboard ($15) is perhaps the cheapest way to turn your smartphone into a VR experience while the HTC Vive ($799) is the currently the best available VR experience in the market.
- VR does need a powerful PC to work at its best as it requires very powerful graphics rendering. At the minimum it will need powerful graphics cards, GPU, CPU, RAM and SSD. And assembling such a PC could cost north of $1000.